28.10.13

I'm in a Philly mood...

Have you noticed how after a particularly good shag you can't stop dancing?  Not immediately after mind you, immediately after you're basking in the glow of the good loving, too worn out to walk let alone dance.  But a day or three later?  You got your groove back.  You find yourself getting down for no reason, shaking your ass, or gently stepping, whatever rocks your boat.

What?  Why are you looking at me like that now?  You don’t dance?  Not even a little?   So it's just me?   Shit.

We are still in the sewer, but today it won't be particularly crude, not even a little rude.  There may be some explicit material, but nothing you haven’t seen on TV before 9 pm.  I suspect this will be one of the fluffiest sewer tales I have ever told.  That said, go away if you don't like to hear tales of lust and such like nonsense.  And go away if you're not old enough to enter Dolce, this here is grown folk business.  I'm serious.  Younglings, exit stage left, you buggers don’t, nay, can't get what I'm on about, and I don’t have the time to slap good sense into you right now.   Are they gone?  Probably not, but at least they'll be quiet, no?  Probably not, I suspect I've just earned myself some wrath right now.  Ah well...

You need to play today's ka-ruimbo, because it is the shit.  I know I say that about pretty much every song I play you, but this one is special.  No really, special, press play and listen.  I'm waiting.  Is it playing?

Oh, let's make it groove,
Taking it nice and smooth...


'I'm in a Philly mood' is one of those songs from when I was a youngling that I have loved from before I knew what he meant.  I heard it when I was in Form 3 or thereabouts, back when I still had the youthful glow in my cheeks, back when my knowledge of the sewer was limited to most basic plumbing.  It was love at first listen, and first sight.  The video was a (then) stunning piece of arty B&W swaying, complete with a sexy middle aged white man to boot.  I knew of Hall & Oates in a more general sense, they were a funk band from the 80's, good tunes but nothing to write home about, at least not to my adolescent mind.  But Mr Hall, in this song...  Hubba hubba!  He catapulted himself into my dreams of passionate hand-holding and swooning.  What?  I was kendo 16, my dreams were only about hand-holding, and kissing, and vague groping in soft candle light.  Yes, I was once an innocent little virgin, unschooled in the ways of deviant behaviour.  Those were good times.  I can see you laughing at me, and I don't care.  I love musicians who surprise me, white soulsters, black rockers, versatile buggers who refuse to conform to skin colour, or upbringing.  Daryl Hall is one such musician, for all intents and purposes he is a soul man, and a damn good one.  Sexy is just a bonus, despite his first name.

Oh, let's make it groove,
Taking it nice and smooth,
I'm in a Philly mood,
Oh, baby come down,
I wanna hold you now,
I'm in a Philly mood...

I'd sing this song with no understanding, thinking when he sang about love he meant, well, love.  Then I grew up and realised this bugger was talking about the making of love, as in sex.  This song is a nice and fluffy shag song, and I only came upon that (in retrospect quite obvious) realisation after a particularly, umm, stimulating session, many years after childhood.  I was standing there, swaying, such as my geriatric ass does, lost in the song, listening, truly listening, for the first time in ages.  It felt like he was describing the sex I'd had...

Oh, lately, lately, girl it seems that we've come home,
To that place, that made that time our own...


You've just pressed play, haven’t you?  You want to hear what it is this man is saying that sounds like my sex, don’t you?  I told you to press play, but you lenga'd and now you have no clue what I’m on about.  Insert evil laughter here...  

This song is what good sex should feel like.  Wait, that's wrong.  Good sex should feel like something heavy, with throbbing bass, but mid tempo.  I say 'feel' and not 'sound', because good music is felt, not heard, just like good sex.  No, this song is what good sex should leave you feeling like.  Mellow, laid back, destressed, copacetic even... gently swaying to a good tune as you sip on a glass of whatever, smiling at the memories of a most excellent shag.

I did say it was going to be fluffy, no?  That's why it's so short.